Judicial Appointment Council for Supreme Court Justice
■ The Judicial Appointment Council for Supreme Court Justice was convened at 15:30 on Wednesday, June 14, 2017.
■ The Council made recommendation to the Chief Justice of eight nominees for the justice vacancy in the Supreme Court: JO Jae-yeon, AN Cheol-sang, LEE Jong-seok, LEE Gwang-man, KIM Seon-su, KIM Yeong-hye, MIN Yu-suk, and PARK Jeong-hwa.
1. The Judicial Appointment Council for Supreme Court Justice was convened at 15:30 on June 14, 2017 in the presence of Chairman HAN Deok-su and all Council members to review the qualifications of justice nominees recommended from within and outside the courts of Korea.
○ The Supreme Court recognized the importance of providing the appropriate background materials for the Council to reflect various opinions from different spheres of the society and make a substantive deliberation on the qualifications of justice candidates; the Supreme Court therefore provided the Council with various important information long in advance of the meeting, including the list of nominees who agreed for the aptitude deliberation along with the materials on their educational background, legal experiences, military service duty, properties, criminal record, etc., and the collection of wide-ranging opinions on the qualifications of candidates.
○ In addition to the comprehensive examinations on the nominees’ competency and capacity to perform the roles of a Supreme Court justice as well as their history of properties accumulation, tax payments, military service duty, morality and integrity, etc., the Council also had in-depth discussions on the opinions collected from various parts of the society based on the extensive materials including the recommendation documents and written opinions on the nominees.
2. After the meeting on the review of justice nominees, Chairman HAN Deok-su drafted a written list of eight qualified nominees from the full original list and delivered the recommendation document to the Chief Justice immediately upon the conclusion of the meeting.
○ Chairman Han mentioned that, “The Council recommends the selected candidates because they are legal professionals with excellent competency and qualifications to fully guarantee the citizen’s right to trial. They also have extensive experiences and virtuous character that will contribute to the Judiciary’s efforts to communicate with the citizens to resolve social conflicts and disputes and to realize a truly integrated society, as well as the desired morality that will live up to the citizens’ expectation.”
3. After giving thorough considerations on the recommendation document submitted by the Council, the Chief Justice will recommend two justice candidates to the President.